Lisa is a friend that I met through The Knot while planning my wedding. A couple years have passed and her first child was due to arrive in September. I was honored to make the cake for her shower!
Originally, this post was a place holder. Lisa asked that I not reveal the cake until after her son was born. I was more than happy to hold the post until after the birth, which I am thrilled to say took place on Labor Day!
Now back to the cake! I had a tip off from one of the shower hostesses, Dani, that Lisa’s favorite cake was SugarBakers signature cake: almond cake, with amaretto buttercream and raspberry filling, and vanilla buttercream on top. I tested all of these out on cupcakes back in June so I would know what I was doing when it came time for this cake!
For the cake, I made my go-to yellow cake recipe (one 8″ round layer and one 10″ round layer) and replaced the vanilla extract with almond extract. I also made 2 batches of Wilton’s buttercream and tinted it a light tan. Then I made a 1/2 recipe of raspberry filling. And then, I made a 1/2 recipe of modified Swiss meringue buttercream and flavored it with a couple of tablespoons of amaretto. (I made the fillings a few days ahead and put them in the fridge.)
When it came time to assemble the cake, I took the amaretto filling out and tried to rewhip it. And it curdled. And it was ruined 😦 And did I mention that it was about 11pm the night before the shower? There was nothing to do but make another batch, which I did. I’m not quite sure what happened because I thought this could be refrigerated. I’m guessing I should have let it come all the way back to room temp before whipping it.
So after I had my fillings squared away, I torted both cakes and filled them with a ring of raspberry on the outside and filled the middle with the amaretto filling. I then frosted the cake with the vanilla BC icing.
And now for the fondant decorations. For the sides of the cake I cut out various sizes of circles and rings using cookie cutters and icing tips. (This design sort of mimics the bedding Lisa picked out for the nursery.) The picture below on the left was my inspiration picture for the cake topper. And on the right, is the one I made. It took several attempts to get the wheels to stay on and to support the plane. And I also had issues with the wings, but was able to get it to work eventually!
[I cannot find the original website where I found this inspiration picture. Here is the link to the full photo.]
I cut out a banner to wave behind the plane. I cut it to size with a pizza cutter and then positioned it over some rolled up wax paper to make it “wave”. After a day or so, it was hardened into place. I cut the letters out with my fondant cutters and glued them on with some water. I had planned to attach the banner to the plane with some ribbon but I ran out of time.
The cake went over very well and everyone seemed to love it, so I was very pleased! Here is a picture of the inside of the cake.
And a picture of the lovely Lisa cutting and serving her cake 🙂